How to Enhance Your Mental Health
Mental Health is key to our well-being. Millions of Canadians live with mental health challenges and it’s important to talk about them and to ask for help if you need it.
Here are a few ways to enhance your mental health:
- Build health self-esteem. Learn to recognize and honour your own unique talents and abilities.
- Build positive support networks. Social support and healthy relationships are important components of mental health.
- Recognize your emotions. Emotional well-being is not about being happy all the time. Feeling different and challenging emotions is part of being human. Identify and practice ways to care for yourself when you feel sad or anxious.
- Attend to your spirituality. Know yourself deeply. Affirm your values. Connect to something bigger than yourself. Live with purpose.
- Become more active. Get moving in a way you like. Exercise reduces symptoms of anxiety and depression. Yoga can play an important role in seeking emotional balance. It has helped me tremendously.
- Ask for help if you need it. Know that mental illnesses are treatable.
By Lisa Mitchell
Yoga, Movement & Mindfulness Instructor